You may have heard about colloidal oatmeal before, but what is it exactly? It is an extract of oatmeal which has been finely grounded down into a thin fine powder, and then suspended in liquid, creating a gel-like substance. This method is used so that the oatmeal is absorbed into your skin more easily, making the ingredient even more effective. The only difference between ordinary oatmeal and colloidal oatmeal is that ordinary oatmeal is kept as a whole kernel and eaten for breakfast, while colloidal is ground and used for skin care.
There are many advantages of colloidal oatmeal due to its multi-functional properties, that's right it performs multiple functions all by itself. These include:
- Appropriate for any skin type – this ingredient is great for anyone with any skin type, even those with sensitive skin, because it works the way your skin needs it to
- Calming agent/anti-itch – The cellulose and fibre from the oats neutralises the pH of dry itchy skin, making it effective to soothe the skin, and stop it from itching; perfect for calming the symptoms of eczema/atopic dermatitis
- Creates a protective barrier for your skin - this is very important when you have irritated or sensitive skin, it just shields your skin, giving it extra protection and time to heal
- Anti-aging - its antioxidant effect, reduces the impact of aging on your skin
- Reduces inflammation - if its caused by acne or insect bites, colloidal oatmeal will help to reduce inflammation
- Moisturises – restores moisture to dehydrated skin; when oatmeal becomes colloidal, it acts like an emollient, which helps to soothe cracks in the skin; oats are able to absorb water and bind it to the skin
- Cleanses – oat particles stick to dirt and dead skin cells, which helps them to be washed off
- Anti-inflammatory – due to it containing avenanthramides A, B, and C, again helping with skin irritant conditions
So how can you work this wonderful ingredient into your skin care routine? You can do this by using products that contain colloidal oatmeal. It is an ingredient that can be used in a diverse range of products, allowing you to pick a product that works best with your lifestyle. So if you have dry skin, use a moisturising lotion or cream containing Colloidal Oatmeal, or if you have acne prone skin, use a cleansing bar that contains colloidal oatmeal and for sensitive skin, use a soap-free cleanser that has colloidal oatmeal. Our entire Dermavive range contains this ingredient, from facial washes, nappy rash cream, moisturisers and shampoos to cleansing bars, it is easy to choose how you incorporate colloidal oatmeal into your daily routine.