With the average Australian woman spending $300 per month on beauty, it seems our face regimes absorb the lion's share of the beauty budget. But what about moisturising your body? Did you know it's just as important to hydrate your body with the right ingredients, especially as we enter the cooler months?
Here are some tips Dermatologists wish you knew when selecting your moisturiser.
1. pH is important
Balancing the all-important acid mantle is the key to supporting the core functioning of the skin. When we use acidic products, this throws out the pH of the skin which puts the skin into damage control. When we apply a pH balanced moisturiser to the skin, the skin is not disrupted and therefore functions well. When the skin functions well it appears youthful, feels smooth and bouncy and maintains hydration.
2. Not all moisturisers are created equal
3. Hydrate for overall skin health
Hydrated skin is healthy skin. When the skin is hydrated it can better protect itself from the symptoms of dry skin, as symptoms of itching, tightness and feelings of discomfort subside. Furthermore, well hydrated skin can better protect itself from inflammatory flare ups especially for those prone to dry skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis.
4. Gradual results over quick fix
Don't always go for the product that promises the most drastic results in the shortest timeframe. Just like going to the gym, long-lasting results take time. If your skin feels dry or even inflamed, you don't have to opt straight for a steroid cream, there are natural remedies available to you which can provide you with immediate relief. We recommend trying a natural based moisturiser for two weeks before proceeding to anything more drastic. The results you gain in this timeframe may surprise you.
5. Natural is always best
Natural ingredients are always best as they are often recognised by the body and are less likely to induce a reaction. As a first point of call, natural remedies should always be tried first. Ingredients which naturally retain water within the surface layer of the skin and create a protective layer to prevent moisture loss include some of the following:
- Natural Colloidal Oatmeal: Long used for its ability to hold water on the skin, this moisture locking ingredient can deliver similar anti-inflammatory and healing results to topical steroid creams without the negative effects of long term use
- Sodium PCA: A natural humectant known for holding several times its weight in water, to support optimal hydration levels within the skin
- Glycerine: A natural humectant utilised for its ability to draw water from the skin's deeper layers into the surface layer of the skin to support long lasting hydration
- Light Mineral Oil: An emollient used to treat and prevent dry skin with an ability to moisten and soften the skin upon application
- Isopropyl Myristate: An emollient utilised for its ability to strengthen the skin's natural moisture barrier, preventing water loss from the surface layer of the skin
Dermavive Moisturising Lotion is a pH balanced lotion which has been designed to increase hydration and softness of the skin via a blend of the above mentioned ingredients. This dermatologically endorsed formula provides immediate relief from the symptoms of dryness, including inflammation, itching and discomfort. This lotion can be used safely by all ages (including infants) as a daily moisturiser on all parts of the body for smooth, supple, hydrated skin.
Are you ready to include a moisture locking body moisturiser into your daily routine? If you are looking to nourish, hydrate and protect your skin with the nourishing benefits of Colloidal Oatmeal, you can purchase Dermavive Moisturising Lotion here.