Atopic dermatitis (or also commonly called eczema) is a chronic inflammatory skin disease, associated with intense itching. Skin becomes inflamed, itchy, red, and scaly and it usually shows up during early childhood. Contrary to what some believe, it is not contagious, it is inherited.
There are certain triggers that can increase the likelihood of atopic dermatitis appearing. These triggers may include contact with environmental irritants, allergic reactions to foods (rare), and heat. Heat can cause discomfort and itchiness, causing the person to itch more intensely, causing more damage to the skin.
Although there is no cure, there are some things that can help, mostly taking good care of your health. Some tips include:
- Good hygiene – shower daily (with warm water, not hot) and use an atopic-skin friendly cleanser (pH balanced and soap free)
- Eating a healthy diet and avoiding certain foods to keep atopic dermatitis in check i.e. alcohol, salty foods, sugar and coffee
- Ensure you get the daily amount of recommended exercise
- Choose a moisturiser that is 'atopic-skin friendly' and use it twice daily
- Drinking enough water and staying hydrated
- Having a good sleep schedule
- Minimise stress so you don’t scratch as much or as hard
- Get sunlight and swim in sea water
- Wear less makeup, apply perfumes to clothes and not directly on skin – always test a small amount of new products on your skin before use
- Always wash and moisturise your skin after removing beauty products
The best and easiest way to help to reduce symptoms from atopic dermatitis is to moisturise whenever possible. This is especially important after showering/bathing or swimming, and when living/working in a heated or air conditioned environment.
Choose a moisturiser such as Dermavive Moisturising Lotion which contains natural colloidal oatmeal. The formula provides immediate relief from itching and relief from inflammation, irritation and redness on the skin. It is also safe to use daily in order to help prevent flare up of atopic dermatitis.